The church at Oak Hill met for the first time in the fall of 1936, in the old school house at Oak Hill. The time was 2:00 p.m. and the speaker for this first service was Oral Page.
The church at Oak Hill was at first, a part of the church at Pleasant Hill. A good number of people from the church at Pleasant Hill actually lived in or near the Oak Hill area.
During the winter months it was difficult to travel even the distance between Oak Hill and Pleasant Hill to worship. Most still walked, rode a horse, or used a team and wagon to travel at this time. Some were fortunate enough to have cars, but they were of little use because there were very few good roads at the time. After some discussion of these facts, it seemed only smart to try and worship closer to home.
It was in the fall of 1936 that this group of Christians asked to meet in the old schoolhouse for the winter months. They agreed to return to Pleasant Hill in the spring. This was acceptable with the church and the Monroe County School Board of Education. All went as planned as the group returned to Pleasant Hill in the spring.
In the fall of 1937, the Oak Hill group again asked to worship at the schoolhouse, and like the time before, agreed to return to Pleasant Hill in the spring. Since Oak Hill was actually home to most of the group, it was more difficult to return in the spring of 1938, but return they did!
By the fall of 1938, the group was anxious to return to oak Hill and this time they were set on staying at Oak Hill. This time when they left the church at Pleasant hill there was no mention of returning in the spring. They return home to oak hill that fall and met as the “Oak Hill Church of Christ.”
Upon becoming a new congregation, the members knew they could not continue to meet in the old schoolhouse. Soon there was talk of building a ‘meeting house.’ So it was, in 1939, the the original ‘church house’ was started. Built by a lead carpenter and a host of volunteers, the building was made up of a lot of donated material, including the land itself.
The building was completed and dedicated in July of 1940. Brother Glen Page was the speaker at that service and for the two-week meeting which followed.
We gratefully acknowledge our parents, grandparents, neighbors, and friends for their good works in building the church building and establishing the church at oak Hill.